who I work with
I work with women who are ready to stop declaring war on themselves and who are ready to create real change in their lives. Some commons reasons women come to work with me are to heal issues with body image, chronic/yo-yo dieting, emotional eating, binge eating, shame and perfectionism. I also love working with women who have a strong self of sense and body but sometimes have difficulty thriving in a society that doesn't yet celebrate their body.
CAN YOU RELATE:
- When is this going to get easier already?!
- You've tried every diet out there and nothing works long term
- You're good until a tough day/moment and then you're a sleeve deep into the Oreos
- You're constantly comparing yourself to others
- You often hide or put your life on hold because you don't feel good in your body
LISTEN UP BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- You are not alone. It's time to try something different
- Diets set you up to fail. It has nothing to do with willpower
- You CAN learn to trust your body and to nourish yourself
- We are all supposed to be different shapes/sizes. And we are all meant to take up space
- The world needs you. You are meant for WAY more than fighting your body
IT HAS TO BE EASIER
I know. This food and body stuff is complicated. And I don’t just hear you- I’ve been there. Growing up, my body never seemed to fit in. I started dieting and binge eating in my single digit years, followed by almost 2 decades on the rollercoaster shame spiral. Finally, I reached a point where I was sick of it and I knew I wanted more. I had important stuff I was meant to do and REFUSED to believe that my life boiled down to dieting and dodging pictures. So I went to work. I read everything I could find, saw a therapist, discovered Health at Every Size®, found communities and sought out mentors.
I experienced life changing shifts in my thinking patterns. I realized I wasn't a problem to be fixed. My mind and body started working together. I moved for pleasure, I ate without shame, I saw my worth as a non-negotiable and finally gave myself permission to BE. And now I help women find the same freedom.
I make my home in Asheville, North Carolina. I'm passionate about community AND alone time, dance parties, good milkshakes and women who are constantly discovering themselves. I live a life I love in a body I'm so proud of.
MY beliefs and APPROACH
I believe our bodies are infinitely wise. They can tell you, far better than anyone else, what you need. My role is to help you learn to reconnect so you access this wisdom.
My approach is holistic, feminist, values and acceptance based. I have been described as warm, direct and authentic. Mindfulness is central to my work because I find it's hard to honor what your body needs if you aren't listening! I fully believe that we can be successful individuals AND hot messes at the same time. It's not "either-or" and I can make room for it all. Shame can't survive in the light of day so bring your whole self in. She's welcome.
I am an expert at recognizing and untangling years (decades?) of self-sabotage and have a knack for cutting through the cultural BS (and believe me, there is plenty!). My work is body/fat positive and grounded in Health at Every Size® and weight neutral self-care and the belief that you can accept, love and take care of your body- at any size.
Education and affiliations
- Masters Degree- Clinical Counseling- Lesley University
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)- Massachusetts #9309
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)- North Carolina #12827
- Member- Binge Eating Disorder Association
- Member- The Association for Size Diversity and Health